Principal Mechanical Engineer, Team Lead
Principal Engineer, Mechanical Design - Medical Device
Contract: Full-time, permanent (can consider contract)
Location: Headquartered in Oxford, 4 days per week onsite
Salary: up to £100,000 per annum
Benefits: Relocation support provided, 12 professional development days off annually and personal development fund
Please note, only applicants with eligibility to work in the UK without sponsorship can be considered.
Osler has the potential to transform global health. It has built the foundation to do so and demonstrated that the vision can be realised. You will help realise this opportunity, shaping the direction of a rapidly scaling company, operating in a high-pace, visionary, intellectually rigorous, and (crucially) pragmatic environment, where you will be expected to be proactive, engage in debate, think strategically, and contribute towards our purpose to improve the lives of hundreds of millions of people.
This role sits in our newly formed Product Design Engineering function which consists of a spectrum of engineers from mechanical specialists to product design and human factors designers. This role will lead a team mechanical designers and engineers focusing on our instrument/analyser, the 'Origin' through V&V into production, support bespoke test equipment, and develop future architectures.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE:
- Engineering design analysis (eg: calculations, stress analysis, CFD / FEA modelling)
- 3D CAD practitioner (ideally Solidworks)
- Knowledge and experience of mass manufacturing techniques, especially castings & injection moulding
- Detailed design and specification of components and assemblies for manufacture
- Proven experience of developing mechanical designs into products within a commercial environment.
- Design Team leadership (including contractors)
- Knowledge of Fluidic/microfluidic devices
- Drive Mechanical Team to utilise Robust Engineering practices including Design FMEA. DFM/DFA/DFS, Six Sigma, Critical Parameter management, Modelling, Designed Experiments & Fail Fast methodologies.
- Manages Requirements – ratify flown down higher-level Product requirements into related Mechanical requirements (Design Inputs) that can be verified
- Owns the mechanical design of the Analyser
- Owns the Proving Plan - planning & executing all Mechanical V&V activities to verify the mechanical and electro-mechanical design
- Rapid Find / Fix cycles – drive swift, efficient Proving strategies and related Design/Fix activities to deliver high-velocity design maturity ‘growth’ to the Analyser programme
- Product Cost – identify areas of the mechanical design that can be costed down for volume production, work with suppliers to support DFM.
- Own the CAD configuration, all PDM processes, and required engineering documentation - working with QARA on ISO13485 regulatory submission/approval.
OSLER WINNING BEHAVIOURS:
Courage Stepping up to address difficult issues, saying what needs to be said
Instil Trust Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity and authenticity
Nimble Learning Actively learning through experimentation when tackling new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder
Collaborate Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives
Action Orientated Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
Self Development Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using both formal and informal development channels.
This is a rare opportunity to be at the cutting edge of new product development in a truly multidisciplinary environment where you can see the power and impact of your work to the end product. In order to create, not only something new, but a step-change in what we think is possible, we expect the best people, the do their best. This is a special place where we encourage everyone to be entirely themselves in order to be your best self.
There is no perfect candidate and no single person can do it all, but if this sounds like you, or what you could be and you're looking for somewhere to thrive; we want to hear from you.
We look forward to hearing from you and introducing you to Osler, thank you for taking the time to consider us and make your application. We look forward to receiving your application. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Join us and build a better future.